Monday, February 23, 2009

Avoid Girls, Save Petrol

(Seen on a t-shirt as I walked across the street to the internet cafe.)

English translations sometimes crack me up. My favorite series are shown below. These signs are all over my neighborhood as kindly public service announcements from our friendly Chennai city police.







Note that I've never actually seen a Chennai city police officer...

Oh, wait. That's not true. Once when I was out late (late being 11:30 p.m.) our rickshaw was stopped by a police officer to "check on us." Basically, we had to pay a 30 rupee bribe, and then he let us go.

Oh, India. You are so beautiful, and so full of crazy contradictions.

1 comment:

  1. What qualifies as an ugly thing? Poop? Ugly clothing?

    Glad you are having a good time and not just being a "slumdog".

    David L.

    ReplyDelete